At the beginning of Lucy’s freshman year, she was dancing at a college party and eventually went back to the dorm room of an athlete. “I remember knowing in my head, somehow, you had to scream “no” or yell “stop” at least three times. And because I didn’t do that, I thought, well, I can’t say this is sexual assault,” said Lucy.
Lucy faced challenges with depression, substance abuse, and anxiety as a result of the assault. She even lost her voice—a struggle that would be difficult for any survivor, but was heartbreaking to a professional singer like Lucy. Through activities like meditation, one-on-one therapy, group healing, and sharing her story, Lucy found her voice again. She continues to be a professional singer today, and is currently composing a piece based on her experience.
More than a decade later, Lucy has not given up on achieving justice. She has also continued to pursue legal action against the perpetrator, a challenge that has proved to be an uphill battle.
What can RAINN do for survivors like Lucy?
RAINN helps survivors like Lucy by meeting them where they are in the healing process and reaching out on a national scale to improve the way the media and lawmakers think about and respond to sexual violence. Here’s a snapshot of just some of out work.
- RAINN created and operates the National Sexual Assault Hotline, accessible 24/7 by phone (800.656.HOPE) and online (online.rainn.org). We also work closely with more than 1,000 local sexual assault service providers to offer confidential support services to survivors regardless of where they are in their recovery.
- RAINN is recognized as the go-to source for media seeking expert commentary and research on sexual violence news and stories and collaborates with the entertainment industry on responsible production and airing.
- RAINN’s policy team helps create and advocate for laws and regulations that make communities safer and support survivors and leads the national effort to end the rape kit backlog.
- RAINN’s experts in technology, consulting, and victim services also offer training and consulting services to dozes on federal agencies, corporations, and organizations to improve how institutions prevent sexual violence and handle victim response.
Read more about RAINN’s programs and expertise.
What can you do to help?
RAINN’s telephone and online hotlines have helped more than 2.25 million survivors. And we’re not slowing down. Support RAINN in the way that works best for you.
- Make a donation. Whether you’re honoring someone, setting up a monthly donation, or making a one-time gift, every bit counts.
- Take action. Visit RAINN’s Policy Action Center to see how you can support legislation that protects communities and supports survivors of sexual assault.
- Spread the word. Share RAINN’s educational content to help inform your network about the realities of sexual violence. Don’t forget to tag us on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook @RAINN01.
- Raise funds. Want to start your own fundraising campaign? Become a RAINNmaker today.